Biggles and Son: Chapter 24.

by Sopwith

Disclaimer: I do not own, or claim to own, any of the Biggles series characters used in this work. This fan fiction was written for entertainment purposes only and should not be considered part of the official storyline.

Warning: Non canon type fan fiction works may contain severe time mix-ups and character deviations.


Algy had just taken the small pink gun from Sebastian’s fingers when he heard a shot ring out behind him, and, hard on its heels, a short cry of surprise or pain. He spun round at once.

The sight that greeted him was one that filled him with dread. Brechovich and Jane were running away from a crumpled figure on the ground. To be precise, Brechovich was running away from the figure, but now Jane had paused and appeared to be bending over, speaking to the figure.

The figure was Biggles.

And there was blood on his shirt.

The two thoughts came in quick succession of one another and for a moment Algy’s brain seemed to freeze over as he stared at the scene in front of him. Biggles had been shot, he thought numbly. Someone had shot Biggles.

His legs were carrying him over to Biggles without his being aware of it, and somehow he was on his knees with Biggles in his arms, staring down at the pale face of his best friend. “Biggles!” he cried. “Biggles, it’s Algy. Can you hear me?”

Biggles’ lips moved. For a minute nothing came out, and then, faintly, there were words. “Jane,” he whispered. “Get Jane.”

“All right,” said Algy soothingly. “All right, old son.” Jane was the last thing on his mind at the moment, but he dutifully promised, “I’ll get her. Just—”

“Go!” gasped Biggles, pushing at Algy’s shoulder with fingers that were coated in a film of blood. “Jane—”

And then his eyes closed and he said nothing more.

Algy gasped, shaking the limp figure in his arms. “Biggles!” he shouted. “Biggles, can you hear me? Biggles!” Biggles did not reply, and Algy was horrified to find himself choking back a sob as he stared at the pale lifeless face in front of him. “Biggles!” he shouted again, and then his words were drowned out by the low roar of an approaching aircraft.

&&&

The Piper swooped low over their heads, continued on, and then circled back for a clumsy landing that brought it to a halt within running distance from Biggles and Algy.

Even before the Piper’s run had finished, Ginger had already tumbled out of the machine, ignoring Bertie’s shouts behind him.

A curious scene greeted his eyes. Biggles and Algy were at the edges, Algy shouting and shaking the limp figure of Biggles in his arms. Closer at hand, a tall man in a suit was running towards a car. As Ginger watched, the back door of the car swung open and Sebastian tumbled out.

The man in the suit let out a shout and gave chase just as Sebastian began to run. “Stop!” cried the man furiously, waving the gun in his hand. “Boy! Stop!” A shot rang out, and then another one.

Ginger was torn between helping Sebastian or hurrying over to find what had happened to Biggles. Whilst he was pondering this decision, a pink-clad figure suddenly appeared in his line of vision, making him jump.

“Jane!” he gasped, in surprise. “What’s the matter?” he added, a split second later, as he realized that Jane appeared to be weeping profusely. “What happened?”

“Algernon!” sniffed Jane, making the name sound like a curse. “He told me he’d secretly been in love with me for years and then he kissed me and then he shot James!”

What?” exclaimed Ginger, in horror. “Algy shot James—I mean, Biggles? Is he all right?”

“What does that matter?” snapped Jane, still crying. “Algernon assaulted me!”

Ginger was not interested in Jane’s woes. Breaking into a run, he rushed to where Biggles and Algy were. “Biggles!” he cried. “Biggles!”

Algy turned a stricken face towards him. “I think he’s passed out!” he said, in strangled tones. “The bullet hit him in the chest—”

“Why did you shoot him?” demanded Ginger, cutting Algy off.

What?”

“You shot Biggles!”

“I did not shoot Biggles! Jane—”

“Jane didn’t have a gun!” snapped Ginger, suddenly catching sight of the pink gun in Algy’s hand. “Where did you get that? Is that what you shot Biggles with?”

“I didn’t shoot Biggles!”

“And you kissed Jane as well!”

“For the last time,” said Algy wearily. “She kissed me.”

“I say, old boy, who kissed who, what?” murmured Bertie, panting as he ran up to join them.

“It’s not import—” began Algy, but then, over Bertie’s shoulder he caught sight of Jane running towards the Piper with the determination of a woman about to do something drastic. “Jane!” he snapped, getting to his feet in a bound, shoving Biggles’ limp figure into Ginger’s arms. “Dash the woman, she’s going to steal the Piper!”

“Oh no, you don’t, you murderer!” cried Ginger, shoving Biggles into Bertie’s arms and rushing after Algy as Algy made a mad dash for the Piper. “You’re not getting away that easily!”

“Oh, I say!” murmured Bertie, staring after the two airmen and then back down at the still figure of Biggles now cradled in his arms. “Biggles?” he inquired, tentatively.

&&&

Jane flung herself into the Piper and into the pilot’s seat. She had just begun taxying out in preparation for takeoff when a second figure threw itself into the plane with wild abandon.

It was Algy.

“Don’t,” he warned. “Don’t you dare steal this plane, or I’ll—”

“What are you going to do?” asked Jane sweetly, without even bothering to turn around.

“I’ll shoot you for a start,” promised Algy, but his voice lacked conviction even to his own ears.

Jane raised an eyebrow and turned to look at him. “Really? With my gun that you’re holding? Don’t make me laugh, Mr. Algernon Lacey. There aren’t any bullets in it. Do you honestly think that I would leave my gun lying around for anyone to find if it wasn’t empty?”

Algy’s heart sank. He had never hit a woman in his life, and, sorely tempted as he was, he was not about to start. He realized that the Piper was now gradually rising into the air and his heart sank even further. “Here!” he protested. “You can’t do this sort of thing—”

Jane turned and graced him with a radiant smile. “Oh, don’t worry, darling,” she cooed. “Everything’s going to be all right.”

“Don’t call me darling,” said Algy.

“Why not?” asked Jane. “As far as everyone else is concerned, you and I have just eloped.”


28 comments

  1. NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    (Had to be longer than my last piercing shriek)

    When I get my voice back I'll return and read that again and cry a little and see all the horrified comments and eventually Chapter 25 will arrive and the whole matter will be resolved, and... *breaks off in sobbing*

    That Jane. That stupid, horrible, disgusting, bad creature. Ugh.

    Really, though, Soppy - I must complement your wit... just use it to get Algy out of the *situation*, and quick!!!



    ReplyDelete
  2. AA(corrections*_*)April 7, 2014 at 10:35 PM

    *compliment, I meant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, don't worry, darling.

    Everything's going to be all right.

    *evil grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really can't believe how many evil grins you have given us throughout these 24 chapters... -_-

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it! *throwing hands into the air and staggering towards a darkened room* just when I thought Jane couldn't possibly do any more mischief she goes and kidnaps Algy!
    She'd better be good to him that's all I can say.. :(

    There is so much going on in this chapter I don't think I've quite taken it all in yet - (I don't think my nerves are quite up to it any more)
    My emotions are all over the place - Biggles! Algy! Sebastian!... I don't know which one is in the most danger or who needs help the quickest...!
    I'll read it again later when I'm feeling a little calmer to see if I can find a glimmer of hope somewhere... *sob*

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just about a summary of how we all feel, sob and all:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soppy how COULD you

    Biggles… Algy… Biggles… Algy… Biggles… Algy… Biggles… Algy… Biggles… Algy… Biggles…

    WHO is going to save Biggles and WHO is going to save Algy? Is Bertie the only hope? Ginger's obviously useless - yet again.

    And what about Sebastian? Do I care about Sebastion? Not really.

    Deep deep distress - may have to lie down and calm down…

    Soppy says it will be all right. Do I trust Soppy? I think I do...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love it when Ginger gets hold of the wrong end of the stick and goes all crazy on everyone! It's fantastic *yet another evil grin*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not strong enough to cope with this. Oh dear, oh dear oh dear, plese fix all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You said it Kismet. Personally I just can't cope with the increasing evilness of the grins...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me, neither. Move over, SA, I'll join you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it had better be a king-sized bed - we're all exhausted and shocked by these latest developments - or better still, we should on the cold, hard floor, to suit our grief and anxiety...
    (Let's just hope we won't be in mourning soon *_*)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure about the cold hard floor, AA, but you have a point about it suiting…

    A row of mattresses perhaps :) And somebody needs to make the tea… or pour the wine...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, yes, perhaps a bit extreme, but how can we drink up when the poor dear boys are in such terrible trouble?

    Come to think of it, Algy probably needs drink by know. Make sure you fit that in your cruelty-filled schedule *shudder*, Soppy - we don't want him dehydrated...)

    Now I'm just imagining us lying, writhing, on a row of mattresses (as SA suggested), and then Soppy walks in, grinning evilly, and we pounce on her... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. (AGAIN! And I proof-read that! I can write better essays that comments on here - perhaps it's due to the morbid subject matter...)

    I meant, *Algy probably needs a drink now

    ReplyDelete
  16. *...than comments...

    (This is getting silly now. SA, I take your advice. I may as well leave the mistakes. After all, the whole of the latest plot-line developments = one big mistake... tragedy...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gone very quiet. She must be busy :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah - but busy plotting what? That's what I'm worried about....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Indeed. It would be alright if she were plotting an innocent, happy, save-Algy-and-Biggles-and-never-see-Jane-again ending... but I think we know Soppy better :(
    Still, I check the blog at least once a day :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me too… Soppy… hint, hint…

    Forever hoping...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry! (All in all I seem to spend a lot of time saying sorry on this blog, be it for things I HAVE done, and things I HAVEN'T done)...

    I have been busy, but there has also been some stuff going on (with me, not Algy) that was rather upsetting, so I'm trying to get through that at the moment (getting better, but it was rather bad before), so I'm afraid that it may be a little while before I get back to Algy, but I am thinking about him and working on it as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear all that Soppy. I really hope things soon start to get a bit better. RL can be rough sometimes....

    But thinking about Algy is a nice 'happy-place' to escape to now and then. Thinking about Algy is like receiving a hug from a giant teddy-bear when you really really need a hug from something warm and snuggly...

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Soppy, really sorry to hear you have been going through a rough patch. You know we can always wait till you have time, whatever we say.

    I hope things will get better for you, and soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Soppy, Really sorry to hear you have been going through a rough patch. You know we can always wait till you have time whatever we say.

    i hope things get better for you, soon.

    PS If this appears twice I apologise - I thought I had forgotten to submit it… but maybe I did...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, I second what JJ and SA have said.

    I'm so sorry to hear you've been having trouble :(. Take your time! There's no need to apologise - we appreciate everything you do!

    Remember to 'Keep calm and read Biggles' :D (or Algy, as the case may be), and we're always here if you need some (lovely) people to talk to :-)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. P.S. That was meant to be 'happy' smiley in the last comment...

    ReplyDelete
  27. SA, sorry it seems that the spam filter caught the first message, so it is appearing twice.

    Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, and thanks too to AA for the offer, although I find that putting problems into words does tend to make it sound very trivial, and then one ends up feeling stupid for bringing it up in the first place...

    Maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. No, Soppy, it's not just you - that actually makes a lot of sense!
    Just, if you ever need to go 'Gggrrrr, I'm annoyed. I need Algy', then you know where to come :)

    ReplyDelete

While you are free to post comments anonymously, you are encouraged to use the Name/URL option to post so that your comment will not be filtered out as spam.

© The Algy Chronicles
Maira Gall