Biggles Married II Chapter 2.

By Sopwith

Disclaimer: I do not own, or claim to own, any of the Biggles series characters used in this work. This fan fiction was written for entertainment purposes only and should not be considered part of the official storyline.

Warning: Non canon type fan fiction works may contain severe time mix-ups and character deviations

"How does this one look, James?" Jane asked, trying on a green hat.

"I'd prefer the blue one," answered Biggles truthfully.

"Really? I did think that that one brought out the color in my eyes. Let me try it again...Hmmm...it does look nicer..."

"Buy it," advised Biggles. "It suits you."

"Does it really?" said his wife, smiling. "Well, all right. I am lucky to have a husband who shops with me," she added happily, as she handed the hat to a salesgirl.

"Why, what do most wives have?"

"Husbands who never shop with them and then complain how terrible their choices look when they come home," teased Jane, getting out her purse.

"Indeed?" grinned Biggles.

&&&

"Is there some trouble, sir?" inquired Algy as he sat down and helped himself to a cigarette.

"I should say there is," said the Air Commodore. "I'm very worried about it. It could mean another war. Russia is stealing our technology left and right."

"Tell me about it."

"Do you know anything about Keria Island?" inquired Raymond, reaching for a file.

"Apart from the obvious fact that's an island, I can't say I have," replied Algy.

"Well, it's an island in the Pacific. Few people have heard of it, due to the fact that it only came into being about ten or fifteen years ago, as the result of an earthquake. It's just off the American coast, and there are a number of important scientists living on it at the moment."

"Can one ask why?" asked Algy, with interest.

"Well, it's a little known place, and there's plenty of metals and so forth on it, which is useful for some experiments, I believe."

"I think I get the idea, sir. What's the trouble?"

"Well, five men have been killed on that island--all of them secretaries to the general who's in charge. And if that weren't enough, it's rumored to be haunted!"

"Haunted?" murmured Algy. "How interesting. How is it haunted?"

"I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the first secretary that the general had. You see, he was something of an animal activist, and he wasn't pleased to be assigned a post working for what he thought of as murderers. The scientists do tend to use animals for their experiments, you see."

"Well, why didn't he ask to be posted somewhere else?"

"He considered it his duty, I gather, to stay and do as he was told. Anyway, he fell off a cliff by accident a few months ago and that's when I sent out the first man to take his place--a chap by the name of Graves. I might add that all the men I sent were pilots since it is their job to carry things to and from the mainland."

"I see. Go on."

"Well, to put it bluntly, all of the men have been killed, and they need supplies at the island, but I daren't send anyone else. It would be too much like murder for my liking."

"Well, sir," said Algy, "you have your man."

"But...but I can't..."

"Isn't that why you called me in, sir?"

"Well..."

"Now that that’s settled,” said Algy, ignoring the Air Commodore’s sputtering, “Perhaps you could let me know more about the scientists on the island or the men you sent, sir?"

"Two of the five pilots died due to sabotage caused to their plane, in our opinion," began Raymond, lowering his voice. "We're not quite certain, but we’re fairly sure. As for the other three, one died of a bullet wound, another by falling off a cliff, and the third by drowning."

"Very varied, our murderer," muttered Algy.

"According to some of the scientists, the ghost of the first secretary, the animal activist, actually walks the grounds the nights before the murders occur."

"Really?” said Algy, skeptically. "And I suppose in another month they'll see eerie lights shining round the bodies, and in a year it'll be fireworks."

"Now, Lacey, it might be true."

"Well, perhaps, but it's not very likely."

"I'll get you a list of the scientists' names and their dossiers. I'm sure you'll like to read through them."

"Thank you, sir. Er, by the way, as of now, do you suspect anyone of the murders?"

"Well, no. No one yet."

"Good, that's all I wanted to know. Perhaps you'll let me have a plane to fly over in? With the supplies, of course."

"Oh, of course."

"Righto, and if I can have an hour to pack my kit..." Algy glanced at his watch. "I can be ready to leave at eight-thirty, sir."

"Good. I'll see you then."

&&&

"Why, if it isn't Biggles!"

The familiar voice caught Biggles' attention and made him turn. "Todd!" he called. "What are you doing here?" He remembered Captain Todd Kurtnam from Wilks' squadron very well. He had often talked with him during the war.

"I could ask you the same thing," chuckled Todd. "I've been opening flying clubs since the war ended, and a new one's just started up here, so I thought I'd like to see it. What's your excuse?"

"I'm on my honeymoon," smiled Biggles.

Todd's eyes bulged. "No! Not the famous Biggles! So someone's caught your eye at last! Who is it?"

"Well," said Biggles. "Why don't you join us for dinner and see for yourself?"

"Good idea! Shall we say seven?"

"Suits me."

&&&

Algy folded a shirt and put it in his suitcase. "I think that's the lot," he murmured, eyeing his kit.

Ginger came into the room and started as he saw the open suitcase in front of Algy. "What's happened?" he asked.

"Nothing. Where have you been, and where's Bertie?"

"We went for a ride in Tug's new taxi, and Bertie ran into a friend of his from flying school. Where are you going?"

"America."

"What?"

"You heard me."

"But why?"

"Well, there's been some trouble over there that Raymond wants us to clear up. I'm going over to take a quick dekko at the place."

"Now?"

"Yes."

"But what about Biggles? Aren't we going to call him?"

"No."

"Why not?' persisted Ginger.

"Because he's on his honeymoon."

"But he wouldn't mind."

"How do you know he wouldn't mind?"

"But we can't do anything without Biggles," protested Ginger. "He's the chief."

"Well, he's on his honeymoon, and that's that. I'm not getting him back. Breaking up one honeymoon was enough for me."

"Why do you keep saying that word--honeymoon?" asked Ginger suspiciously. "What are you up to?"

"I'm not up to anything," said Algy, "Why should I be?"

"I get it," Ginger took a step forward. "You've been waiting for this, haven't you? A chance to prove you're better than Biggles. What are you after? Your own Air Police Department?"

"What?"

"You're usurping the throne!" Ginger shouted at him.

"What are you on about?"

"You know jolly well! You're jealous of Biggles having all the adventure while you stay at home to hold the fort, and now you're trying to take over."

"What gave you that idea?"

"Why can't you be a man and just admit it?"

"Look," Algy slammed his case shut. "I don't have time to argue. I have to get there by eight-thirty."

"I'm going to call Biggles and tell him what you're up to," threatened Ginger, to his departing back.

Algy shrugged. "Go ahead," he invited curtly. "Go on, what are you waiting for? The phone’s right there."

"As if you cared about Biggles and his honeymoon," sneered Ginger.

"Look here, the last time I called him because the PM asked me to. This time, I've told Raymond I won't call him back for anything, and that includes little whippersnappers like you!" Algy threw open the front door. "And just for that, you can stay home when I need someone as back-up."

"You wouldn't," gasped Ginger.

"Wouldn't I?" growled Algy, walking out and slamming the door behind him.

Ginger stared after him in disbelief. "I hate you," he whispered to the closed door.



9 comments

  1. I'm stunned - I've never read anything quite like it.... maybe alien abduction DID have something to do with the writing of this story...!
    Also: If Algy doesn't give Ginger a kick in the pants,can I...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crickey, what's Ginger done to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't you read how rude he has just been to poor old Algy...?
    No wonder Algy called him a 'whippersnapper!'
    That sort of cheek deserves to keep him grounded for a week.
    (Shakes head and tuts disapprovingly)

    ReplyDelete
  4. W-h-h-a-a-a-t?? Yes, I agree with JJ, I'm totally stunned! There is just no way to predict where this story is going....! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Algy. Little does he know what's in store for him.

    There's no point in trying to predict anything that happens in this story. I don't even know what's going to happen, which should tell you something...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what were you under the influence of when you wrote this story?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, let's see. It can't have been alcohol, because I would have been underage, and I don't think it was drugs, although if it had been I probably wouldn't have remembered anyway.

    It must have been chocolate. I remember eating quite a lot of the stuff in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's simple. Sopwith wasn't under any influence other than the adolescent one of telling the plain, unvarnished truth. Maybe it's about time Ginger was cut down to size. Am I glad I managed to get a USB dongle for the internet. Don't think I could wait two months before seeing the completion of this. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ginger always did have a bad habit of being rude to his elders and better, particularly Algy. In In Spain he actually has the nerve to say, "Shut up, Algy."...

    ReplyDelete

While you are free to post comments anonymously, you are encouraged to use the Name/URL option to post so that your comment will not be filtered out as spam.

© The Algy Chronicles
Maira Gall