Biggles Married III Chapter 15.

By Sopwith

Disclaimer: I do not own, or claim to own, any of the Biggles series characters used in this work. This fan fiction was written for entertainment purposes only and should not be considered part of the official storyline.


Warning: Non canon type fan fiction works may contain severe time mix-ups and character deviations.



Algy was vaguely aware that he was falling down a long dark tunnel and that someone was screaming his name over and over. Something squeezed into his chest and for a brief instant he found it hard to breathe.

Abruptly, he was on his feet and there was a bright bright light just a few steps ahead of him.

With a sort of detached wonder, Algy took a stumbling step towards it.

&&&

Gaskin put the shabby gray building under surveillance and subsequently arrested two men, one of whom was carrying fragments of what looked suspiciously like Biggles’ bomb.

The fragments were analyzed and found to contain the contents of a relatively harmless stun grenade. Algy had thrown the bomb into the pool at the most deserted part of the hotel and no one was hurt. With some help from the hotel manager and Gaskin, the official story that was given to the public and the press was that it had all been a harmless prank. Biggles was never charged.

The policeman Algy had shot—by accident while trying to save him from Smith’s men—suffered nothing worse than a minor graze on the leg, and after several days in hospital was able to resume his normal duties.

Biggles never saw Jane again, but two days after Smith and his men were arrested, he received an envelope in the post containing nothing but Jane’s wedding ring. Jane had friends in high places, and her part in the entire Smith affair was later hushed up.

&&&

Biggles sat in the chair beside Algy’s hospital bed with his head in his hands. He had not slept for two days, and it showed in the dark circles underneath his eyes and the unshaven stubble on his face.

Algy had been unconscious for the past two days. The doctors were not hopeful. He had lost a lot of blood from the bullet wound, and he seemed to be suffering from severe shock besides. Only a miracle could possibly save him, they said, warning Biggles not to get his hopes up.

Bertie and Ginger had dropped in several times to see how Algy was doing and to bring Biggles some food which he did not eat. These visits did not usually last long, as all too often casual conversation would peter out into long awkward silences whilst all of them stood around doing nothing but staring at the prone figure in the white bed.

Doctors and nurses came and went in a blur. Biggles lost all track of time. He would stare at Algy, lost in his own thoughts for what seemed like several eternities, only to check his watch and find that no more than five minutes had passed. He spent endless hours pacing up and down in the narrow confines of the hospital room like a caged animal until every stain on the floorboards was imprinted in his memory.

He got up from his chair, stalked to the window, and attempted to light a cigarette with shaking hands. Somehow he couldn’t seem to get the match to light, and with a snarl of frustration, he finally abandoned his efforts, throwing the match and matchbox aside before snatching the unlit cigarette from his lips and tossing it angrily to the ground.

“Don’t do that,” admonished a plaintive voice.

Biggles spun round as if he had been shot. “Algy?” he asked, incredulously.

“Waste of a good gasper, if you ask me,” continued Algy, wincing as he attempted to sit up. “What’s going on? Where am I? What are you doing here?”

In a few brief sentences, Biggles ran over the highlights of the past few days.

Algy grunted, abandoning his efforts to sit up. “That explains why my chest feels as though someone hit it with a hammer,” he said. “Any chance of a bite? I’m starving.”

“I’ll get something,” promised Biggles, hurrying out of the room.

He came back to find Algy staring at the ceiling. “This place depresses me,” complained Algy.

Biggles glared at him. “You’ve only been awake for two minutes!”

“That should show you just how depressing it is!”

“You need rest—”

“I feel perfectly fine!”

“What’s the hurry, anyway?”

“I’ve got work to do,” declared Algy.

“Such as?”

“Paperwork,” replied Algy promptly.

“Bertie and Ginger can handle it.”

“No, they can’t. I need to call the papers too, about that piece they wrote—”

“I’ve already spoken with them, and they’ve printed a full retraction.”

“In tiny print on the fifth page, I suppose?” sneered Algy. “That should clear my name with the general public.”

“They printed it on the first page, under the story about Smith’s arrest. There’s nothing you need to do, so just lie back and go to sleep again or something.”

“I need to be looking for a flat,” said Algy, suddenly, as if the thought had just struck him.

An awkward silence fell.

Biggles cleared his throat. “Well,” he said, trying to sound casual. “Actually, I know this place in Mount Street that has rooms free.”

Algy raised an eyebrow. “Really?” he said, expressionless.

“The rates are reasonable…there’s a housekeeper…I think you might like it.”

A slow grin spread over Algy’s face. “Why don’t I come by later today and have a look?” he suggested.

THE END

23 comments

  1. "Only a miracle could possibly save him, they said".

    You're welcome. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a miraculous story teller could weave such a happy ending :-)

    Thank you Soppy ***great sighs of relief and a wide grin***

    I must say, Algy's was a miraculously rapid recovery :-) It appears it is not only Biggles who has what WEJ calls an iron constitution...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair, he was out for two days, so is wasn't like he just got up on his feet right away.

    I suppose Biggles throwing ciggies away was just too much for Algy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true - he didn't leap to his feet instantly, but people who are out for two days might be expected to be somewhat delicate, fragile... But not Algy :-)

    Unrelated to this story, but re ciggies, I notice Algy is still smoking in 'Takes Charge', yet in some of the later books he seems to have stopped. In 'Deep Blue Sea' he calls Biggles a nicotine addict (and he's quite right).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have sworn I didn't press the 'Anon' button - just shows - shouldn't swear...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I think I need a rest myself after that roller coaster ride of a story ...
    Great job. I wouldn't have thought it possible to bring it all to a happy conclusion as you have done if I hadn't seen it for myself...Very impressive : )

    Saying that....
    I know it says Biggles never saw Jane again - but I don't trust her - she must be something of a loose cannon now - a woman scorned and all that -

    I bet she's somewhere now plotting her beastly revenge; brooding over all her gripes....

    Biggles and Algy had both better watch their backs....one never knows when the Pink Menace might coose to strike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I can only go along with SA

    ***great sighs of relief and a wide grin***

    Lovely, Soppy.

    They'll probably appreciate each other after all this and that goes for Bertie and Ginger too. I wonder if Biggles ever found out who decimated his drinks cabinet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginger probably smuggled some new bottles in before Biggles noticed!

    I don't think either Biggles or Algy ever realy stopped smoking. They just did it more and less in each book. I don't think they sit around worrying about things like cancer and whatever!

    I think I deserve a little break to go and breathe after this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you do too, Soppy. were you thinking of you and Algy recuperating together?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delighted grins and much laughter :-)

    Then when you have both recovered, onwards and upwards with Evan in the skies?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me and Algy are going to take that hour long flight we've been talking about. The one that takes much longer than an hour and involves very little flying...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been a bit late in catching up with the final revelations in this completely amazing piece of fiction. I haven't laughed so much in ages, Soppy (it was meant to be funny, wasn't it....?) And you actually have the nerve to berate the rest of us if we so much as scratch poor Algy!!!!!! And as fo Ginger's addle-headed wild imaginings - well, I'm truly speechless.
    Priceless just doesn't begin to describe this. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny? *deeply puzzled expression*

    I'll have you know this is a very very serious fic!! This is Biggles' marriage we're talking about!!

    But glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm feeling the urge to write something along the lines of "Algy Married"...... what do you think? *totally innocent expression*

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds fine, RSG, as long as I'm the person Algy gets married to, I have no problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man. I am sagging in relief having finally come to the end of this diabolical (though very funny and well written!) chronicle. This rollercoaster "Biggles Married" saga really should be read more widely as a parable about the awful consequences of getting together with a totally unsuitable person! And how one should never desert one's friends and morals for someone who is so obviously Mr/Ms wrong!

    I feel so exhausted now. But so relieved! Was positively grieving at the first bit when Biggles and Algy were not on talking terms. Horrible stuff I never thought could happen!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing what one woman can do when she sets her mind to it, eh? And they said one person couldn't change the world...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwww happy ending! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, well...until Biggles and Son comes along...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Sopwith! Glad I found this site again. Although I still think that Ginger is the best

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Lara, and thanks for coming back to the site! I'm perfectly okay with you liking Ginger (leaves more Algy for me!) Please feel free to visit us often; I'm going to be putting some new fics up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can see my comment above from 5 years ago but I had absolutely no recollection of this story and had to read it all the way again on the edge of my seat. I can only surmise that it must be forced amnesia that made me unable to remember the events of this traumatic story!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, it is rather traumatic, isn't it? Only came back to rereading it myself recently and I can't believe how much of it I've forgotten (and I wrote it!!)

    ReplyDelete

While you are free to post comments anonymously, you are encouraged to use the Name/URL option to post so that your comment will not be filtered out as spam.

© The Algy Chronicles
Maira Gall