Biggles Married II Chapter 4.

By Sopwith

Disclaimer: I do not own, or claim to own, any of the Biggles series characters used in this work. This fan fiction was written for entertainment purposes only and should not be considered part of the official storyline.

Warning: Non canon type fan fiction works may contain severe time mix-ups and character deviations


Algy watched as the last of the crates were loaded into his “Scout”. “That’s all of them, is it?” he said to Raymond, who was standing beside him watching the proceedings.

“I think so, yes.”

“Good. I’d best be off then.”

“Er, Lacey, just one moment.”

Algy turned. “Yes?”

Raymond glanced around nervously and lowered his voice. “There’s one other thing that you need to do, other than try and find out what happened to the other secretaries and whoever’s behind this ghost business. You see, someone on that island is leaking secrets to the Russians. And unless we find out who it is, we may find ourselves preparing for another world war.”

“Really?” said Algy, who had heard the phrase too many times to be impressed. Everything the air police did seemed to be about stopping some big catastrophe that might never happen. “Well, I’ll see what I can do.”

“No, no, Lacey, you don’t seem to understand the seriousness of the situation. You have to find out who this man is, and quickly. The fate of the whole world rests on this.”

“Does it, sir?” said Algy, walking towards the plane. “Well, that’s just too bad, isn’t it?”

&&&

“A Sopwith Camel!” Biggles stared at the plane as if he had never seen one before.

“I’ve tried to keep it as authentic as possible,” said Todd. “Except it’s hard to get the original parts nowadays so I’ve had to do some improvising. Like to try it?”

Biggles cast a quick glance at his wife.

“Don’t worry about me, James. I’ll just go inside and have some coffee. You go on.”

“Are you sure you don’t mind?”

“Of course not, dear. I may even come out and try it later. I’ve never flown a Camel before.”

Biggles tried to visualize his wife flying a Camel and found that he couldn’t. She was wearing exceptionally high heels and a light blue sundress; nothing could have been further from his memories of World War I. “Well, I’ll see you later then, shall I?”

“Of course, darling.” Jane kissed him on the cheek and walked away.

Biggles clambered into the cockpit with long practiced ease and smiled. “All right, then,” he murmured to himself. “Let’s see if I remember how this goes. Contact!”

“Contact!” was the prompt reply from Todd.

“Here goes,” said Biggles, opening the throttle wide open.

“Good luck!” shouted Todd, giving him a thumbs-up.

Biggles returned the gesture.

And that was when he heard the screaming.

&&&

Bertie came into the flat and looked around in a puzzled manner. “What ho, old warrior,” he greeted, as Ginger appeared in the doorway of his bedroom. “Where’s Algy?”

“He’s gone.”

Bertie glanced around, looking alarmed now. “Gone? What do you mean, gone?”

“Just that—he’s gone. Off to America.”

Bertie adjusted his monocle. “I say, old boy, are you all right, and all that sort of thing? You’re looking rather—”

“We had an argument,” Ginger blurted out. “Just before he left. I asked him if we were going to get Biggles back for the mission and he said no, so I told him he was usurping the throne and he just left.”

Bertie’s eyes looked in danger of popping out of their sockets. “You said what?” he asked.

“I know. I don’t know what came over me. I did ring him up to apologize afterwards but he was busy then and I don’t think he was really listening. What am I going to do?”

Bertie shrugged. “Well, you’ve apologized, haven’t you, old boy? That should be the end of it.”

“But he wasn’t really listening, I tell you. And he’s going off to America! By himself!”

“All right, all right,” murmured Bertie, backing away a little. “There’s no need to get so bally excited, what?”

“I know what I’ll do,” said Ginger, abruptly.

Bertie’s brow furrowed but he said nothing.

“I’m going to go to America, too.”

What?”

“I’m going to go after Algy,” decided Ginger, with the sort of firm conviction that only the very drunk, the very deluded, and the very determined possess. “See you later.”

And with that, he walked out of the flat.


13 comments

  1. I take back everything I said about Ginger. He's so clearly sorry for what he said. and that scream? Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sincerely hope you still feel so positive after you see what comes next.

    And I don't know what comes next...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness Ginger's behaving more normally!! And he should be highly remorseful after speaking to Algy like he did!!! Very glad to hear him being so sorry.
    This is looking bally interesting, old top.
    Can't wait to hear what the screaming was all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps Jane's scared of mice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger and Smyth once tried to scare off Stella Carstairs with tales of mice.... Perhaps Smyth's turned up to help a hand - and this time the trick's worked...
    : - )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jumping Jupiter, what book was that in?? It sounds hilarious! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. AA--the book is Biggles & Co.

    And to everyone who's hoping that the screaming is Jane getting murdered, I just have to say, no such luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well...it might be someone kidnapping her...There's hope...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only if she doesn't come back

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is Bertie going to go haring off after Ginger? I hope so. No one left to answer the phones. Jane kidnapped (fingers crossed) Biggles ringing up for help and NO ONE AT HOME! But I guess you've got your own ideas, Soppy. Just don't keep us waiting too long

    ReplyDelete
  12. If Biggles finds no one at home he might send Jane back to answer the phone.

    But then he would obviously go with her. Which I'm sure isn't what you lot want to see...?

    ReplyDelete

While you are free to post comments anonymously, you are encouraged to use the Name/URL option to post so that your comment will not be filtered out as spam.

© The Algy Chronicles
Maira Gall